Friday, June 9, 2017

Every human is born with a mental virus?

Every human is born with a mental virus.

Around the age of 12, I decided to learn how to play the guitar. My father played guitar, and violin, and piano. I remember bugging my Dad, over and over until one day, he decided to shut me up. He sat me down, and ran through the basics of strings, tuning, and the names of the different parts of the instrument. The first chord he showed me was "G", since he felt it was the easiest to play. I remember being disappointed, when he told me to go practice playing the one chord he had shown me. I asked him to show me more, but he said, " Once you can strum G and make it sound clear, and you can strum right, I will continue teaching you more.

Reluctantly I went to my room, and spent probably around ten minutes attempting to play the chord. As much as I wanted to keep trying, mentally, I was fighting with my own mind. My thoughts were scattered, and emotionally I was being exhausted. As hard as I tried, I simply could not force myself to focus, and sit there. I sat the guitar in the corner, and went off to find something to do. Several days went by, and I remember waking up, and seeing the guitar in the corner, and thinking to myself, "How did I forget about playing guitar?" I picked it back up, and this time I spent around 7 minutes or so, before my scattered and disorganized mind beat me yet again, and I gave in, placing the guitar yet again, in the corner.

No matter how hard I tried, I could never spend more than around 7 minutes or so practicing the guitar. Almost two years after asking my Dad to teach me guitar, I still could not correctly strum the one chord I had been shown. To add insult to injury, one day when hanging out with my friends, one of them pulled out a guitar, and said he had taken it up over the summer school break. He then proceeded to play a couple of songs, and sounded good. I was furious, and when I got home, I complained to my Dad about the fact that, even though I had took up guitar before my friend, he could actually play songs, and had only been playing a few months, and it wasn't fair. My Father informed me that it was entirely fair, and that my friend had actually put time and effort into playing, and I could be playing also, if I put the time, and effort into it that he did.

I asked my Father to show me more, and help me get better than my friend. Once again, my Father informed me that I had to master what he had already shown me, before He would show me more.

I remember spending most of my time struggling with my own mind. I was unable to focus on a single task without my mind getting distracted, and torn into a million different directions. I had no control over my own mind, and that disturbed me. I had no exposure to meditation, and had never heard the word, but I began practicing meditation, right before sleeping, as I laid in bed. I would struggle with my own mind, trying to get it to go silent, and become calm. I practiced this every night, and after about one and a half years, I was able to clear my mind, and focus on a single topic. After that I was able to zone out and meditate while I was practicing a scale, or technique, that involved repeating the same thing for hours.

During my struggle to control my own mind, I became aware that if most of my thoughts were not my own, then something was hacking my mind, and overriding me. It was a struggle to wipe my mind of a virus, that's how it seemed. I have questioned lots of people around me, and they always admit struggling to have control of themselves. In my case it was, meditation, spirituality, eliminating TV, and spending time in nature, that helped me. I really wonder if we suffer from a virus, as a human species, and its grown worse over the centuries, maybe even reaching critical mass soon. A healthy diet helps, and exercise.

Comments, questions, criticisms welcome. Let me hear what your thinking.




1 comment: