Thursday, June 25, 2015

Is Time Travel possible?


I started watching the British Sci Fi show "Doctor Who" at a young at around 11 I beleive. It was in essence, a show about a Time traveler. I have continued to read, and watch shows about time travel. I have personally experienced missing time events. I remember leaving the town of Smithers, and instantly being in front of my house.

This trip normally would have taken me around 35 minutes to make, on my ten speed bicycle. However, when I looked at my watch, only ten minutes had passed. Over the years, I have from time to time, thought very hard about time travel, and if it's possible. All forms of travel that a person can name, consist of a material object moving through some sort of medium. Ships travel across water, planes, rockets, etc, through the air, electricity travels through a wire of metal. 

However when considering Time travel, one quickly comes to the realization that no physical medium exist that we can call time. Time is an idea, a concept. Actually time is best described as the measurement of movement. We measure time by the movement of objects through space. As far as I can reason, there is no such thing as time, in a physical, material universe. Time exists in the abstract, other, or conscious realm only.

I could only see time travel being a possibility, if the universe is a Hologram of sorts, and a record of all information is stored within the very fabric of the hologram, or if it is a computer simulation, and everything is stored in its memory banks, or finally, if the infinite multiverse of every possible combination exists, and all information is stored within the infinite structure of the universe itself. I simply cannot see time travel as being possible in a purely physical universe.
Time travel, may also be possible if the fundamental structure of the universe is consciousness. 

Recent experiments, such as the LHC, or CERN, could reveal new insights into the very nature of reality, and could point the way toward answering the question. As of this moment I simply do not see any method of storing events present in our physical universe. Without some storage method, much like human memory, or memory in a computer system, I cannot see anyway of traversing so called time. In a purely physical universe absent any conscious, or artificial underlying structure, there is simply no such thing as time to travel through.

I myself, am inclined to beleive that consciousness, not matter, is the underlying fundamental structure that we call reality.

Please leave feedback, positive or negative. It helps to know if what I'm doing is making an impact.


No comments:

Post a Comment